This four-ingredient chicken tortilla soup is not only ridiculously easy, it is also incredibly tasty. In fact, I have tried to make many varieties of chicken tortilla soup, all way more time consuming and with way more ingredients, and this one is still my children’s favorite. Hands down.
Whenever I tell them I’m making chicken tortilla soup, they want to make sure it’s this one.
And for me, it’s also a reminder of my dear friend, Jenn, who first introduced me to this soup when I was oh so very tired after having a baby and in need of a little relief. She showed up at our door with this soup in hand, which we eagerly accepted and have been making ever since.
So what four ingredients do you need to make this easy-peasy, creamy chicken tortilla soup? I guarantee you know the first one. Yep. You guessed it. Chicken. The other three ingredients are: cream cheese, a jar of salsa verde and tomato soup.
I told you this was going to be easy. You may even have all of those ingredients on hand right now.
So now that you’ve gathered your ingredients, let’s get started.
First off, bake the chicken at 350 degrees until cooked through, or if you want to go super simple – purchase a precooked rotisserie chicken. I will usually bake the chicken in the morning, or afternoon, and then stick it in the fridge until I’m ready to make the soup later that evening.
This is a great meal to make on game nights, or nights when your kids have lots of activities and you need something quick to make. And making the chicken ahead of time makes it that much faster.
When you’re ready to make the soup, add the cream cheese to your pan. I tear off smaller blocks to make it melt faster. Stir the cream cheese while it melts, and then add the jar of salsa verde. Stir the salsa verde and the cream cheese until well combined. After the salsa and cream cheese are ready to go, shred the chicken and add it to the pot along with the soup. (I prefer to use the boxed, organic tomato soup.) Heat on the stovetop until heated through and that’s it!
Talk about simple! And once you’ve had a bite, you will be amazed at how something that easy can taste so yummy.
- One package of chicken breasts or thighs (or you can use a rotisserie chicken)
- One block of cream cheese
- Jar of salsa verde
- One box of creamy tomato soup (I prefer the organic, boxed, creamy tomato soup. You can also use fire-roasted creamy tomato, tomato basil, or any of one your favorites – as long as it’s tomato)
5. Optional ingredients: tortilla chips, sour cream, chopped jalapeño and fresh cilantro
- Bake chicken at 350 degrees until cooked through. After it is finished cooking, shred the chicken.
- Add cream cheese and jar of salsa to pan, and cook on medium heat. Stir until the cream cheese melts and the salsa and cream cheese are well combined.
- Add the box of tomato soup and shredded chicken.
- Stir and heat through.
- Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, chopped jalapeño and cilantro (all optional)
You taught me this recipe years ago and I still love it! ☺️
Oh, that makes my heart so happy!